Monday, February 4, 2013

How I Learned to Drive

The Greek chorus was strange. In a lot of ways I think it was unnecessary. That said, it amplified the importance of Lil' Bit and Uncle Peck. The other characters we're not portrayed by single actors and therefore made them simply voices. The effect this had was a powerful one. It helped create the feel of a memory--where the only people who could really effect what was going on were the two involved. The others commented, observed, and warned but that is all. At the end of the day only their voices existed because not one of them acted on the situation. At certain times in the script the chorus' reinforced lines that Lil' Bit or Uncle Peck had. When first reading the script, I wasn't sure what determined that those specific lines needed back up. For example, "For blue balls" and "just a little bit".  However, I think now they were foreshadowing. Now, being able to take them out of their surrounding context and placing them with the entirety of the show I think they were used to show that the two of them never get that far. Both quotes could describe the playful (creepy)/ teasing relationship the two of them had. They came close but never really became intimate with one another. Had those lines not been repeated, I would have left them in their original context and accepted them for face value. The greek chorus brought importance to Lil' Bit and Uncle Peck and represented their influences. Another significant choice that Paula Vogel made when writing the script was the use of headings or chapters to describe scenes. It helped steer me in the right direction. It was a little hint of what was to happen in the scene but kept me on my toes. Some of the titles such as "Defensive driving involves defending yourself from hazard…" made me extremely interested and worried for what was going to happen in the next scene.

2 comments:

  1. I like what you say about the greek chorus, because its different from what i originally thought, but kind of the same too! I thought the chorus stood as a description of the setting, like you know where they are according to who the greek chorus stood for. I like how you see them as kind of a memory, but not significant enough to actually change or affect the actions of Peck and Lil' bit. I agree with viewing them as kind of an outside voice coming in with advice, or warnings, but never actually changing anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I like your interpretation of the chorus as well. I hadn't really thought about its implementation as a means of foreshadowing and expression of character's internal thoughts or emotions. I myself tend to think that Vogel's reason behind sticking this element of theater directly into the play is in order to keep the audience grounded and aware that while, yes, this is some very morally questionable subject matter, it is still just a play and the chorus serves as a reminder of that.
    Long story short, I like your interpretation!

    ReplyDelete